QLD Separated for 30 years

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Angel2000

14 November 2022
A female, separated for 30 years, not divorced (due to family violence just let it be)

Raised 5 children alone, no child support, worked full time.

What rights does the husband have to superannuation, can I make gifts to the children to buy property for my grandchildren to be secure in accommodation? Does he have rights to my superannuation?

Atticus

6 February 2019
can I make gifts to the children to buy property for my grandchildren to be secure in accommodation?
You should seek proper financial advice. Gifting can have consequences for you in some cases depending on your circumstances.
Does he have rights to my superannuation?
It's unusual to be separated for 30 years & not divorced. The circumstances of that may be relevant, but generally, if you are still legally married, then a property settlement can include superannuation.

sammy01

27 September 2015
Get divorced. The ex then has 12 months to seek an asset division. You can refuse to discuss this with him and that will force him to apply to court. He won't do it because he will be wasting his time. A magistrate isn't gonna give him a cent of your $$