Self defence law

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Docupedia

7 October 2020
Not only must self defence be reasonable and proportionate to the threat reasonably perceived, but the allowable extent changes as the circumstances change.

For example: If someone attacks you with a knife, you may be justified in the use of deadly force for self defence. Once that knife is dealt with (say you disarmed them), that justification will most likely be gone.

piano0011

6 August 2018
I read some articles about assault that is getting more common nowadays due to the covid 19 thing but also just assault in general. I guess that if a gang would want to hurt you physically, you can defend yourself and then run away but there is nothing to stop that person from accusing you of starting the fight first if you have no witnesses correct?

Atticus

6 February 2019
there is nothing to stop that person from accusing you of starting the fight first if you have no witnesses correct?
Thugs in gangs don't generally approach police & make complaints ... Also, depending where it happens, many surveillance cameras around these days.

piano0011

6 August 2018
thanks for the advice..... It is just an interesting topic I thought.... Obviously, we hope that we won't be in this situation but sometimes, unforeseen circumstances can surface...