Self defence law

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

piano0011

6 August 2018
What is the law with regarding to self defence? Can I defend myself and injure the person, using reasonable amount of force? Will I be charged of anything if this happens in the state of Victoria? If I am at home and someone breaks into my house, can I fight back and also, am I allowed to use force if picked or bullied on the street? What if there are no witnesses around to support my claim in self defence?

Atticus

6 February 2019
What is the law with regarding to self defence?
Basically reasonable force proportionate to the threat ..... What a person defending themselves regards as reasonable may not be what a court decides would have been a proportionate response to the threat posed... Rule of thumb.... use as little force as possible to defend yourself.

piano0011

6 August 2018
What if you are surrounded by a gang of thugs or someone trying to pick a fight by calling you racist name etc?

piano0011

6 August 2018
So, do you mean that if a person is picked on or bullied, you should just walk away? What if they are looking for a fight and push you around?

piano0011

6 August 2018
I guess the best thing is not to get into trouble in the first place but if a fight happens and you use force.... can you the victim be still charged of assault?