Australia's #1 for Law

Join 11,000+ Australians. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!

Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest, Want peace of mind with personalised legal advice today? Visit LawTap to find the right Australian lawyer and book online instantly.

NSW Sale of Goods Act - A Reasonable Time to Wait?

Discussion in 'Australian Consumer Law Forum' started by Pallahue, 18 June 2015.

1. Pallahue

Pallahue Member

I have read that "... services will be provided within a reasonable time" is a consumer guarantee. Does this reflect the Sale of Goods Act?

I bought a chair that is customised with a woolen upholstery. NZ wool and a light blue - nothing I would have thought it difficult to come by or to fit.

In any case, the company Chicicat has indicated a lead time of 10-12 weeks (this was not evident until after the order was completed online). After 13 weeks, an ETA has not been provided as requested.

What is a reasonable time to wait?
    Under contract law, can Chicicat contract away my rights?
    eg. in their terms in conditions I cannot hold them to their lead time?

Thank you.

2. Tim W

Tim W Lawyer
    LawTap Verified Lawyer

It's probably being made to order.... overseas, and not necessarily in NZ.

There's a difference between a contracted specific delivery date, and an estimated date range for delivery.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Pallahue

Pallahue Member

Yes it is being made to order in China.

I would like to understand how the law views the estimated date. Surely at some stage a consumer would be able to say well its unreasonable that it should take x amount of time to custom make this product with these specifications in China.
    For example, after having paid fully for the custom order in advance and having waited 6 month is it reasonable to have an ETA on the product? Or is it reasonable to expect delivery in 6 months?
    Why isnt reasonable to expect delivery or ETA at 3 months?