TAS Ripped Off by Car Dealer - What to Do?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Fern 79

16 November 2017
I bought a second hand car from a dealer shop in end of September with finance and extra 5 year warranty. 14 days later my Mechanic had to do a full service and found some problems:

Fuel gauge has electrical problem

Excessive black smoke and

No reverse lights fitted

So I went back to the dealer as some could have been covered by warranty. I had to take a day of work as I live rural. The car was in the workshop from 8.30 till 15.00 pm with nothing fixed as the had to wait for the warranty. They didn't contact me.

So I rang them back after over a week and got the answer that they fix the reverse light and gave me a quote of 605 bucks for the fuel gauge...

My question is: is that a good price or should that problem been fixed prior to sale?

Thanks

Clancy

6 April 2016
I would say you get 3 months statutory warranty for the entire vehicle. Then the extended warranty will probably be for specific things only correct?

What about the excessive black smoke issue? That makes the car unroadworthy by law.

Fern 79

16 November 2017
They keep telling me that the car has more than 160 000 km and is a commercial vehicle. And as I took the extra extended warranty their is no other warranty through the car yard.

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
Did you buy it on Form 4 or Form 5?