QLD Restructure and pregnancy

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now
25 June 2017
I am nearing the end of a maximum term 3 year contract. Recently our organisation went through a restructure and has committed to making my position permanent. This has been publicly released. They are delaying finalising everyone's contracts, instead offering month long extension to contracts for those who are still on max terms and whose position has been made permanent. My contract ends on the 4 August, and I am worried they will just extend instead of drawing up a permanent contract. It gets tricky because I'm also pregnant, and due in December. I really don't want them to keep extending my contract until I can't physically work anymore, and then denying me maternity leave. Plus, I also need to give them 10 weeks notice prior to leaving, and as my job is physically demanding, I'll need to leave earlier than the mandatory 6 weeks.

Can they keep extending and then deny me maternity leave as I technically won't be on a permanent position yet?

Lance

31 October 2015
Hi,
If they are doing the same thing to others in the same situation, they probably can get away with it. It doesn't sound unlawful.