WA Abandoned Property - Can I Dispose of Items After 9 Years?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

F1blakes1

21 February 2017
9 years ago, I cleaned out my brother's house at his request as he was on charges and in remand. I bought a sea container and put his belongings into it and stored it on my rural property. For the last 8 years, I have requested verbally that he remove his belongings.

On October 17 2016, he stole my keys from my house, copied the keys, trespassed onto my rural property, broke into the sea container and stole items from it then returned some of my keys. Up until this time, he had access to the sea container whenever he wanted it.

I sent him a registered letter requesting that he remove his belongings from the sea container, a 30-day time limit was set. He went to a lawyer. A date was arranged for removal of the items from the sea container. Date was 30 days after the original deadline for him to remove his belongings. He never showed on the agreed date.

I sent another registered letter to his lawyer giving another 30 days to remove his items from the sea container. The lawyer responded stating that the letter had been received and no direction had been received from their client. 60 days have now passed since the last letter was sent and I still have not received a response.

Can I dispose of these items as abandoned property now after 9 and a half years property law?

I believe that he intends to continually draw out this procedure. I require his items to be removed form my property. What can I do to facilitate this?