Australia's #1 for Law

Join 11,000+ Australians. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!

Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest, Want peace of mind with personalised and confidential legal advice today? Visit LawTap to find the right Australian lawyer and book online instantly.

WA Purchased Geely Car from John Hughes - Model Year Advertising?

Discussion in 'Australian Consumer Law Forum' started by Todd Teal, 27 March 2015.

1. Todd Teal

Todd Teal Member

I bought a new Geely last year in March 2014 from John Hughes in Perth that was supposed to be a 2013. The rego reads 2013. Now I have been told since that the car was built in October 2012, it is not a 2013. They sold many of these Geely cars like this I believe. What can I do about this under Australian Consumer Law?

2. Ivy

Ivy Well-Known Member

Hi Todd,

As far as I am aware, it is common for car models to have been built late in the year before. So it is not surprising that a 2013 model was built in late 2012. For all purposes as far as its resale value etc it is a 2013 model.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    DennisD likes this.
  3. praxidice

praxidice Well-Known Member

Nissan Australia has been flogging Leaf's (or should that be Leaves) built in the UK in 2011 with 2012 / 2013 / 2014 / 2015 compliance plates & nobody has yet thrown a wobbly. Actually thats not strictly correct because I've certainly had my say about the practice although no official source has exhibited any semblance of interest. Actually I wouln't mind buying one of the things however there is no way known I'd pay anything like the present $40,000 RRP given that proper 2015 models go for $28,000 in yankeeland. If the clowns agreed to something like the $17,000 odd specified in the various price guides I'd be interested but thats about it.