LawAnswers.com.au - Australia's #1 Legal Community

LawAnswers.com.au is a community of 10,000+ Australians, just like you, helping each other.
Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
Join us, it only takes a minute:

WA Purchased Geely Car from John Hughes - Model Year Advertising?

Discussion in 'Australian Consumer Law Forum' started by Todd Teal, 27 March 2015.

1. Todd Teal

Todd Teal Member

I bought a new Geely last year in March 2014 from John Hughes in Perth that was supposed to be a 2013. The rego reads 2013. Now I have been told since that the car was built in October 2012, it is not a 2013. They sold many of these Geely cars like this I believe. What can I do about this under Australian Consumer Law?

2. Ivy

Ivy Well-Known Member

Hi Todd,

As far as I am aware, it is common for car models to have been built late in the year before. So it is not surprising that a 2013 model was built in late 2012. For all purposes as far as its resale value etc it is a 2013 model.

DennisD likes this.
  3. praxidice

praxidice Well-Known Member

Nissan Australia has been flogging Leaf's (or should that be Leaves) built in the UK in 2011 with 2012 / 2013 / 2014 / 2015 compliance plates & nobody has yet thrown a wobbly. Actually thats not strictly correct because I've certainly had my say about the practice although no official source has exhibited any semblance of interest. Actually I wouln't mind buying one of the things however there is no way known I'd pay anything like the present $40,000 RRP given that proper 2015 models go for $28,000 in yankeeland. If the clowns agreed to something like the $17,000 odd specified in the various price guides I'd be interested but thats about it.