NSW Australian Consumer Law - Private Seller Misrepresented Car Advertisement?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Chriz

8 December 2016
Wanted to get Australian Consumer Law help, please.

6 days ago, I bought a car that was advertised as a 2014 model. Throughout the whole carsales ad, the car was portrayed as a 2014 model and said the car still had a year warranty being a '14 model. Other links and checks on the site portrayed the car as 2014 also. His word was trusted. Had someone go do a road test, car was fine.

Yesterday, I discovered his purchase date of car was in October 2013 and the car was, in fact, a 2013 model. I contacted the seller to work out a refund of the money to the according year model and now a car with no warranty. He refused, claiming he made a mistake on the ad and it was tough luck I had bought the car, and I should have checked.

The wife had full knowledge the car was 3 years old and basically said " sorry, but you can't do anything now, you are stuck with the car".

I told him I want a full refund because the car was misrepresented and there clearly was deceit involved. I have never bought a used car before and believed his paperwork, advertisement and word in good faith.

Please help!

Lance

31 October 2015
Hi,

The seller is bound by common law contract requirements. They cannot knowingly lie, misrepresent or deliberately / negligently omit information that would otherwise influence your decision to buy, such as the warranty that was lost by the year error.

Have a read of this blog and it might help you out with your question: Faulty Second Hand Car? Your Options as a Buyer - Legal Blog - LawAnswers.com.au

Reactions: Chriz

Chriz

8 December 2016
Thank you for your reply. I haven't transferred the car into my name yet. I am scared that I am accepting the car for that price and year model.

I am actually thinking to type a letter of demand for the balance of the car, so it is then priced accordingly. If there is no price agreement, I want to return the car if possible.

If I take it to local court, will I have a case? It did mention in the blog that in common law he has breached contract.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
You will likely have a cause of action. Mistaking the year of the car affects resale value and warranties which are both key terms of a contract.

And agree, a letter of demand is needed first. And put a reasonable time limit for them to respond by (ie not 24 hrs, and not as long as 30 days).

Reactions: Chriz