NSW Property Law and Privacy - Can Landlord Prohibit Tenants from Having Visitors?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Lengrip Lama

25 April 2016
Hi,

I just recently got a message saying that I have to move out in 2 weeks because my boyfriend visits me and that they don't like it. Is this allowed under Property Law? I actually got this message from one of the couples who also lives in the house sharing. They call themselves managers and said they act on behalf of the landlord.

When I said I wanted to talk to the landlord, the landlord doesn't want to talk to me and only talk via message. So, in this case, I cannot know if it's really the landlord speaking or they are pretending to be the landlord.

Anyways, my boyfriend only visits me 2-3 days and stays overnight sometimes. He isn't a threat to anyone or hasn't done any damages to the property. While they said he goes to the bathroom and take showers, I know that my boyfriend does all his sanitary things at his home and besides are the couples allowed to spy on us? Aren't they trying to get in on our privacy?

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
How long have you been living there? Do you have a lease?

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
Are you in a normal residential tenancy, or are you in some sort of boarding house?