NSW Posession of Drug, should I hire a lawyer?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

throwaway98

31 July 2018
Two weeks ago I decided to celebrate my end of semester by going out clubbing with friends and trying MDMA for the first time. I was caught by a sniffer dog, and am now facing a court attendance on the 29th of August. I was caught with 0.49g (two caps) of the prohibited drug.

I am someone who has had no previous issues with the police and my school would be able to write me a good reference as I never got in trouble (except for one time in year 7). I’m currently studying Business and IT (second year) and hope to move to the US in the final year of my degree for an internship, and this would obviously be affected by a criminal record. The officer who arrested me said he would make a note on the records about my good nature and compliance, and I believe the magistrate would also find me to be well-spoken and sincere.

I wish to receive a Section 10 Dismissal. What I want to know is, should I hire a lawyer? If so, why should I, what price should I be expecting to pay and do you have any recommendations of firms. If not, why shouldn’t I and what pieces of evidence should I obtain to display my character?

Thanks to all who respond, your advice is appreciated.

Adam1user

5 January 2018
Yes, it is better to have a solicitor/lawyer, your situation is a serious one and don't risk it. Some may say it is straight forward, but if something goes wrong, you will end up with criminal record and possible jail time.

If you have a good clean record, this will come to your advantage, but it is recommended to engage the lawyer, it is worth every cent.

Prices depends, so chat with people or friends and see who they recommend. Preferably someone with experience in such matters, if you get a general lawyer, that lawyer may do a mistake, you don't want to risk that too..