WA Workers Compensation - Timeframe for Payment?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Kaila

26 August 2014
Hi, just wondering if there is a time frame for payment to be made once the final papers have been signed for workers compensation settlement for a personal injury at my workplace?
Thank you

Sarah J

16 July 2014
Melbourne, Victoria
Hi Kalia,

Under the Workers’ Compensation and Injury Management Act 1981, employers are required to make weekly compensation payments to the injured worker within 14 days of being advised that the claim has been accepted. Failing this, the employer may be liable for a WorkCover penalty of $2,000 for each weekly payment missed.

Hope this answers your question.

Kaila

26 August 2014
Hi
Hi Kalia,

Under the Workers’ Compensation and Injury Management Act 1981, employers are required to make weekly compensation payments to the injured worker within 14 days of being advised that the claim has been accepted. Failing this, the employer may be liable for a WorkCover penalty of $2,000 for each weekly payment missed.

Hope this answers your question.

Thank you for your response,
Sorry I wasn't more specific. I meant in regards to the insurance company once they offer amount $$ and it's been finalised. Is there a time frame they have to pay that amount or when they want to pay it ?

Sarah J

16 July 2014
Melbourne, Victoria
Hi Kalia,

There could be a few reasons as to why there is a delay between settlement and actual payment. For example, if Centrelink is involved, the insurance company can only pay out the money once Centrelink has sent them a recovery notice and the insurance company has paid Centrelink first.

There is no statutory time frame for paying monies by insurance companies and payment will vary from insurer to insurer, as well as depending on the number of other interested parties (eg. Centrelink).

I would suggest contacting the insurance company and enquiring about the status on you claim and what is causing the delay in payment.