NSW Performance Improvement Plan with the intention of terminating employee

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Tony.

8 March 2019
My wife received a Performance Improvement Plan yesterday. Her manager booked a meeting in her calendar for a 'Catchup' at 4pm yesterday (Thursday) and then confronted her with a typed up PIP and notes he prepared well in advance of the meeting. My wife believes her manager is targeting her for termination. She has been there for almost 13 years and is very passionate about working there. Her manager has used the same tactic on at least 2 other employees who ended up resigning due to the stress caused by the process. Each employee had been with the company for more than 5 years. My wife is losing sleep over this and is severely stressed as she had a similar situation in August last year when, out of the blue, her manager rated her poorly in her performance review but did not give her any indication beforehand that she was performing poorly. He also hasn't given her any feedback, even after she asked for it, between August last year and now. He keeps dodging the issue.

To top it off, the objectives in the PIP are not very clear. It's almost like he is giving her 2 tasks to do that don't relate to improving performance. If you try asking him about how these 2 tasks relate to improvement he dances around the question.

What can my wife do to get out of this stressful situation? Should she update her resume and start looking elsewhere? Can the Law help her in anyway? She doesn't know what to do.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
1. What can my wife do to get out of this stressful situation? 2. Should she update her resume and start looking elsewhere? 3. Can the Law help her in anyway? She doesn't know what to do.

1. Start looking for another job, or practice some kind of meditation/stress relief.

2. Yes.

3. Yes. Likely unfair dismissal if she is sacked.