QLD Partner forcefully taking over the company

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Bizo

25 November 2022
My partner and I separated, we have a company that we are 50% equal partners but I am the legal director, she has however locked me out of everything including my emails, I have asked for some information regarding the business and also requested a meeting but she is not answering me, what options do I have?

Nighthelyn

24 September 2014
Sydney
Dear Bizo,

What precisely do you want to do here - is the company of value that you need to take back control? Or is the company of no value that you need to resign ASAP and not be involved further for any possibility liability to you personally. Do you still have access to the company account - if yes can you immediately take step to control the funds by securely the funds in any account the other partner cannot get to, all the while have proper demand letters issued in your records evidencing you are not stealing from the company? Who has the corporate key - is your accountant who may hold corporate key still answering your call and continuing to recognise your status as company director?

You need legal advice on your options. Unfortunately there is no one size fit all way to take back control.

Good luck!

-Nighthelyn