Illegally Towed from an Untimed Parking Spot (Sydney CBD)

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

HyperVectra

25 November 2022
Hi,

I was parked corner Castlereigh & Hunter St (Castlereagh St & Hunter St · Sydney NSW 2000) next to a curb. The only sign on the signpost is a works zone. The time listed was 5am-10pm. Mon-Sat and this was in that time. No other signs are present besides the 'Tow truck towing a car pictoglyph sign' According to Transport for NSW I was towed at 12:30am at the request of police. I checked on livetraffic.com for any 'spontaneous' work zones or special event clearways and there are none for at least the past 7 days.

My questions are this:

1. I cannot see anything within the Road Rules 2014 (NSW) or the Local Government Act 1993 (NSW) besides obstructing traffic or causing a danger to pedestrians that would allow them to tow the car. Is there something in LEPRA I didn't see?

2. Assuming this was not permitted, who committed the offence? Is this a civil (tort) or a criminal offence? The Tow Operator? Police? The Work Zone applicant if they called police? Counsel?

3. Do I have a right to compensation?

This has really upset me. I do my utmost to never break the law no matter how minor, therefore I wish to pursue this matter but due to the issue is cost-prohibitive professionally speaking. If anyone has any constructive insights or further action/information to gather it would be much appreciated.

Atticus

6 February 2019
The only sign on the signpost is a works zone. The time listed was 5am-10pm. Mon-Sat and this was in that time. No other signs are present besides the 'Tow truck towing a car pictoglyph sign'
ROAD RULES 2014 - REG 181 Stopping in a works zone

My thoughts ... Unless you fall into 1(a) or (b) of the above road rule then I can't see how you are not liable ... If the area is also clearly marked as a tow away zone then you were warned ... If it's a fact that no work was in progress or had taken place for the preceding 7 days is immaterial I think.

Only thing you could do is check that the work zone permit was valid, ie, not expired ... If it had expired it's council responsibility to have it removed. *may* be a mitigating factor, but may well not as you parked in area clearly marked

As for being towed, check the sign meets the regulatory requirements

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
Hard to say without knowing all the details,
but if your pic above is from the exact date and time you were towed,
then perhaps your vehicle was towed from a Special Event Clearway?

That is certainly something that the police can do (or ask others, such as RMS) to do.