ACT Parking in Hotel Car Park - Can They Get My Car Towed?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Woodsya

23 November 2015
I am sorry if this question has been posted before - I know that can be annoying.

I have been parking in a hotel car park each day, and this morning I was approached by someone (I assume they work for the hotel) yelling that my car will be towed as I do not work at the hotel. I moved my car but would like to know if the hotel can legally have my car towed under Property Law as there is absolutely no signage anywhere - the car park is easily accessible by the road.

I know that usually there are boom gates or at least some form of signage for open air car parks to restrict access/advise people how long they can park there for, so if anyone could let me know what my rights are and if they can legally tow my car, that would be great.

Thanks!

Therese

11 October 2015
Hi Woodsya,

These forum posts are helpful: NSW - Traffic Law - Illegal Parking at Company Car Park - What to Do? | LawAnswers.com.au and QLD - Car Towed - Paid to Get It Back | LawAnswers.com.au

It is my understanding that by parking in a private carpark you are agreeing to their parking conditions. However as it does not specify a car will be towed away I don't believe they can do that. Without the hotel using any signs or gates around the parking I think you are right - they would not have a strong case to tow your car.

You may wish to contact legal aid centre or lawyer to get advice if you believe they have overstepped what they can do.