- Australia's #1 Legal Community is a community of 10,000+ Australians, just like you, helping each other.
Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
Join us, it only takes a minute:

Parenting Plan or Parenting Order?

Discussion in 'Family Law Forum' started by sally.maye, 11 July 2014.

  1. sally.maye

    sally.maye Member

    11 July 2014
    Likes Received:
    My child's father and I have separated and have been to mediation trying to set up a parenting agreement ( custody of children) for our child. Unfortunately we have not been able to come to any agreement.

    I have been told my next step is to apply for a "court ordered parenting plan" i.e. terms determined by a family law judge.

    I have been given conflicting information - is it better for me to lodge the documents at the court or should I wait until the father lodges the forms and I become the respondent? I am wanting to get this sorted out ASAP for the benefit of our child.

    Thank you in anticipation.
  2. Jacob Romano

    Jacob Romano Active Member

    19 July 2014
    Likes Received:
    If you think there is any prospect that the father will not comply with a parenting plan fully, then do yourself a favour and avoid a decade of frustration by ensuring you have Parenting Orders by Consent, or as ordered by the Judicial Officer. Do not rely on a Parenting Plan

    The major difference between these 2 documents is that if a Parenting Plan is not followed by the father, well there is nothing you can do about it. However if he breaches a Court Order, then there are consequences, sometimes serious ones.

    [Moderator Edit - Community Guidelines]
    #2 Jacob Romano, 19 July 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: 20 July 2014
  3. rebeccag

    rebeccag Well-Known Member

    8 April 2014
    Likes Received:
    G'day Sally Maye,
    If you're wanting to get thing sorted asap and you're prepared and understand about applying for a parenting order, then I think you should proceed. Have a look at the Family Law Courts "If you can't agree on arrangements" page that take you through the steps, considerations and requirements for parenting orders. Have you had a family lawyer provide you with legal advice / assistance as yet?

    At least with a parenting order, your child's father must comply with it. Check out these LawAnswers Family Law Forum posts about legally enforceable parenting arrangements and complying with orders:
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Amanda E likes this.

Share This Page