NSW Paid for Monster Legends App Content - Can They Downgrade?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Evie63

19 March 2015
I paid for extra content in a game - Monster Legends, a virtual monster with battle skills. Now the developers have downgraded a skill making the monster pretty much rubbish. This is happening often now and i want to know how they can downgrade a product you paid for? They state they are under Spanish Law, not Australian law. It just seems so unethical.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Happens often in PC/console/mobile games when the developers 'suddenly realise' that the skill/ability breaks or unbalances the overall gameplay.

In some ways it is like being baited to get you to buy, then voila, change an important attribute and tough luck, you've done your money. Because this happens mainly with teenagers not many people have paid attention to this 'trick' by game developers. I see it as a type of fraud but don't know enough law to make a comment. In a normal situation you could argue the developer changed an essential element of the contract giving you a right to demand your money back. Not sure if this principle applies in this scenario, and if so, how does Australian law impact overseas developers.

Australian Consumer Law may also apply. Not sure though.

Frustrating but not sure of your legal rights, interested in the answer as well.

AllForHer

23 July 2014
I think you'll probably find that the developer has included in its terms and conditions that they reserve the right to amend content without notice and that by purchasing the protect, you accept the content is subject to change.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
They may have that term, but this is not about content. It is downgrading/changing the abilities/features that you purchase.

An example I can give is that you buy a pixel tank for AUS$50 that is used within a game. When you buy the tank it moves at 60kms/hr, shoots once every 5 secs, has gun depression of -10 degrees. These abilities/features make it superior to many other tanks. After 2 months the developers change the abilities of the tank so that it now has a max speed of 50km/hr, shoots every 6.5 secs, and has -5 degrees gun depression and it is now on a par or inferior to other types of free tanks in the game. The superior ability you paid for now no longer exists.

Evie63

19 March 2015
Exactly Rod, superior quality is now lost. Allforher yes they do include terms and conditions as u mention which seems to give them the ability to rip people off.