VIC Offence for Unauthorised access of mobile phone

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Jake Matherson

15 June 2018
the friend decides to enter the house at 4am and take photos of you sleeping.

That's an oddly specific example Glass, care to enlighten us further on your creepy friends? hahaha

Based on no legal knowledge or background.

If old mate went into her phone as he suspected she was cheating on him, found evidence, screen shotted it and sent it to himself or a family member for "safe keeping" and he didn't try to ruin her by naming and shaming her on a public forum such as Facebook, he won't get into any trouble and she should reconsider how she handles herself in future relationships.

Every man and their dog that's going through Family Court/ DV Court/Criminal Court has screenshots from conversations on their ex's phone. (or is it just me??) Nobody blinks an eye.

Not a lawyer just my 2c

GlassHalfFull

28 August 2018
Haha, well it seemed like the physical equivalent of a internet-based privacy violation. My creepy friends and I have no further comment. ;)

But yeah, I suspect it wouldn't easily reach a breach of privacy threshold when your partner is accessing your phone and they had previously been given the password (even if originally for a different purpose). Expectations of privacy would be vastly different in a domestic relationship, I would imagine.