VIC No Custody of Children Order - Take Back Custody of Child?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

lostsoul33

18 May 2015
No custody of children orders by family law are in place. Can I take back custody of my child?

AllForHer

23 July 2014
If the child ordinarily resides with you, you can apply for a recovery order through the court to have the child returned into your care.

Where there are no existing orders, a recovery order should be accompanied by an initiating application for parenting orders relating to the child's care arrangements.

If you remove the child from the other party's care without following the proper avenues, the other party will also be entitled to file for a recovery order against you.

It's important not to fight fire with fire in circumstances where the child has been removed from your care without your consent. Instead, it's recommended that parties follow the proper avenues for dispute resolution, rather than engage a game of tug o' war with the child's other parent. The court looks highly on parents who conduct themselves in such a way that they ensure the child isn't exposed to conflict or placed in the middle of the dispute, and it frowns upon unilateral decision-making by either parent.

For more information about recovery orders, see here: Recovery orders

Reactions: Darren barrett

lostsoul33

18 May 2015
If the child ordinarily resides with you, you can apply for a recovery order through the court to have the child returned into your care.

Where there are no existing orders, a recovery order should be accompanied by an initiating application for parenting orders relating to the child's care arrangements.

If you remove the child from the other party's care without following the proper avenues, the other party will also be entitled to file for a recovery order against you.

It's important not to fight fire with fire in circumstances where the child has been removed from your care without your consent. Instead, it's recommended that parties follow the proper avenues for dispute resolution, rather than engage a game of tug o' war with the child's other parent. The court looks highly on parents who conduct themselves in such a way that they ensure the child isn't exposed to conflict or placed in the middle of the dispute, and it frowns upon unilateral decision-making by either parent.

For more information about recovery orders, see here: Recovery orders
I have followed the law all the way its been 32 wks and court date has been given in july i have no visitation and i just dont understand how it can take so long and how it must be affecting my yound child

AllForHer

23 July 2014
I understand your frustration - an under-resourced and over-burdened court system means even family matters marked urgent are notoriously slow to progress.

However, as proceedings are under way, it is vitally, vitally important that you continue to follow the right avenues. The court will be watching to make sure the other parent's reason for removing the child from your care was not justified, and recovering the child by force will negatively impact your case against the other party because you will basically be proving recklessness.

Are you self-represented? Are there any interim orders in place, or applications in a case pending for interim orders?

lostsoul33

18 May 2015
I have followed the law all the way its been 32 wks and court date has been given in july i have no visitation and i just dont understand how it can take so long and how it must be affecting my yound child
No custody orders are in place. Can I take back custody of my child?
I understand your frustration - an under-resourced and over-burdened court system means even family matters marked urgent are notoriously slow to progress.

However, as proceedings are under way, it is vitally, vitally important that you continue to follow the right avenues. The court will be watching to make sure the other parent's reason for removing the child from your care was not justified, and recovering the child by force will negatively impact your case against the other party because you will basically be proving recklessness.

Are you self-represented? Are there any interim orders in place, or applications in a case pending for interim orders?
No i have a lawyer application has been appied to the court as the other party has not attended mediation and has only just sort legal representation

AllForHer

23 July 2014
Then it might be worthwhile requesting that your solicitor file an application in a case seeking interim orders that instate some contact between you and your child. It surprises me that it's been ongoing for 32 weeks and there are no interim orders yet in place.

lostsoul33

18 May 2015
Then it might be worthwhile requesting that your solicitor file an application in a case seeking interim orders that instate some contact between you and your child. It surprises me that it's been ongoing for 32 weeks and there are no interim orders yet in place.
visitation was agreed to late December between myself and my xpartner he allowed 5 2hr visits the last being Christmas day then he said he was going away and would reply to messages or answer my calls and hasnt since and nothing has been done

AllForHer

23 July 2014
If I may, when was your last mention?

lostsoul33

18 May 2015
If I may, when was your last mention?
Mediation was 31st of march and the other party didnt show up. Received letter on 12/5 saying application with fcc australia.and is listed to proceed on 27/7. I was told prior the it would be listed on 25/5 and still wait to be contacted regarding why? The date is so far away ?