VIC Next door neighbour

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Timcat54

19 September 2020
Victoria
Hi

I have issues with our next door neighbour she’s a single mother with two kids. She’s constantly on suicide watch by her father and mother. The father sleeps over some nights so his daughter won’t kill her self. The reason she wants to kill her self is over men they all leave her can’t seem to keep a relationship. Her husband had an affair and left her and has had a new born child with the lady he was having the affair with and then her boyfriend for a year leaves her also so attempted to kill herself.
So my issue is she then wanted my husband of 15 years sending him sexual messages and talking to him for 6 months over the fence which nearly ruined my marriage over a woman that wanted my husband because she’s so sad and mentally not stable. She works Monday to Friday her kids are left with family members every morning to be attended to and in the afternoon. So I made it clear to her that if she’s interested in my husband she needs to deal with me ever since then she’s stopped contact and my husband has apologised for his lack in judgment which still isn’t good enough. Now this next door Neighbour single mother that attempts to take her own life every few weeks needs to be reported to DHS or lifeline which I can’t do as she will know it’s me. She won’t let the kids talk at all if they outside because of me she doesn’t want me to hear them to me that is abuse to her kids. This next door neighbour will stand at her fence line listening to our guests if they come over and we are in our backyard or if I’m outside with my son just listening to our conversation at her fence line and we can hear her. She’s now put up a camera looking at our drive way. This lady has no one visit her no friends nobody but her parents and with covid 19 her parents would visit everyday they never followed any covid rules in the whole 12 months. So my issue is she now waves to me been a smart ass but if I say anything to her she rings her dad to come over to deal with me. and she has spread many rumours saying she’s dating my husband which isn’t true we have had to move out of our home to one of our investment property because I can’t stand to even look at her. The home she lives in is in a court which makes our lives worse and the home she’s living in isn’t even her home it’s her mother’s who got a loan to buy the house to put her in and her kids because she had no money bad credit no money and her dad got her a job with him as he’s not liked at all. Her kids play on the road unsupervised and I go to our local shops and she shows up as if I’m getting followed by her. So my issue is I want her out of my life but I own a home next door to her and why should I have to deal with someone who’s mental and my husband isn’t getting forgiven or forgotten too easy either. It’s really made my life difficult and made me turn into a person who I am not.

sammy01

27 September 2015
so you're not living there anymore? problem solved.
Nothing she is doing is illegal. (except maybe the covid stuff).

Timcat54

19 September 2020
Victoria
Well I kinda have to go to the house as it’s an investment property and I’m repairing the whole house kitchen, bathroom, etc so I’m at the house most days working on it. So I’m at the house everyday. I would like to sell the home to some government housing to allow disability or teens to live in the home. I was informed by the other neighbours she attempts to steal every ones man who ever moves in as the home I brought was a rental it’s a very popular area and I would like to make the court a bit more friendly with young disabled people living in the home and to make this woman wake up to herself.

sammy01

27 September 2015
she can buy an alarm clock to wake herself up. Not your business.

Nice idea to offer the place to disabled.

As far as you having to go to the house. Yep look. I get it. But there isn't any law being broken by her. Best advice learn to ignore. Don't buy into her dramas.

Timcat54

19 September 2020
Victoria
Yes, I totally do ignore her but she keeps on waving away at me been a smart ass. For 6 months she would spend every minute outside spying and talking to my husband when I was not around but now she won’t even go outside only when we do she will so I stay indoors plus I’m renovating inside the house no need for me to be outside Thanks for your reply , the fact that she wants to take her life makes me wonder.

RiffRaffMama

29 October 2020
What state do you live in?
In Australia there is currently nothing illegal about home surveillance in Australia.
There are some exceptions to this, though:
  • The surveillance is of a criminal or voyeuristic nature
  • The area being monitored is one where someone would reasonably expect to have privacy, such as a bedroom or bathroom
  • The surveillance is of such intensity that it is creating a nuisance, preventing someone from the enjoyment of their property
  • The installation of the cameras is the result of a neighbourhood dispute involving threatening behaviour, in which case an apprehended violence order may call for the cameras to be removed.
So I think #3 probably your best angle to pursue a case on. You would probably have to have a hearing at somewhere like a dispute resolution service or VCAT/NCAT/QCAT (wherever you live).

Timcat54

19 September 2020
Victoria
What state do you live in?
In Australia there is currently nothing illegal about home surveillance in Australia.
There are some exceptions to this, though:
  • The surveillance is of a criminal or voyeuristic nature
  • The area being monitored is one where someone would reasonably expect to have privacy, such as a bedroom or bathroom
  • The surveillance is of such intensity that it is creating a nuisance, preventing someone from the enjoyment of their property
  • The installation of the cameras is the result of a neighbourhood dispute involving threatening behaviour, in which case an apprehended violence order may call for the cameras to be removed.
So I think #3 probably your best angle to pursue a case on. You would probably have to have a hearing at somewhere like a dispute resolution service or VCAT/NCAT/QCAT (wherever you live).
Hi

I live in Victoria the camera is pointed in our drive way so she knows when we are home and when we are not. I’ve had odd things happen to my car plus it looks like someone comes into our back yard when we are not around. The camera watch us come and go. I was thinking of getting a camera to place in my front window looking out towards the road if she can watch me why can’t I watch the street as she comes and goes? But what’s the best camera for this nothing expensive. Her behaviour is odd the other Sunday morning she was outside at 6am playing with her kids on the road in the court who lets there kids play outside at 6am in the morning? But she’s been on suicide watch and is often on suicide watch so it makes me wonder plus her behaviour on each Saturday is odd also. She send her dad over to her house while she’s out he pulls into the drive way and then leaves and in like 3 seconds she arrives home very odd. Mind you the house is owned by her parents as she can’t afford a home as she has bad credit. Her husband left her and her long term boyfriend left her and he went around showing everyone photos of her nude. Probably sent them to my husband for all I know and she’s on tinder and travels to the Warragul Drouin NooJee area Vic for her dates. Her parents think she’s perfect an Angel but not a single person visits her not one friend or her siblings only her mum and dad. Then she attempted suicide every few weeks I know this because the father told my husband which I believe they know regret telling him. When the father stays all night it’s suicide watch and they keep it a big secret DHS should be made aware because she has two kids living with her full time under the age of 8. But she’s too busy watching her camera to watch my husband and what we do. Her energy is bad.