VIC Neighbour's Rights Over Water Easement On My Land?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

robcott

9 March 2020
Hi guys!

I am wondering if anyone can give me help regarding my rights for an easement on my property - versus the rights of the easement holder?

There is a 3m easement along the front of my property for a private waterline for a neighbour. In order to access my property, I have to cross the easement. We were about to excavate for a driveway for a new build on the block, when I noticed a wet area, suggesting a leak. I marked the wet area and pointed it out to the excavators when they came to do the driveway, so they could avoid it. They decided to investigate, and found that the line was an old galvanised pipe, which had rusted out and was leaking.

The line is only 10cm below the ground surface. I contacted the owner of the line, to let her know it was leaking and needed repair, but her response was very aggressive, and to tell me I had no right to do anything on the easement, as she owned that land- and blamed me for damaging the pipe. I suggested that she send a plumber to look at the line and that I was happy to meet him on site. I didn’t hear from her, but a couple of days later there was a plumber there. He told me that he couldn‘t repair the old pipe, and it would have to be replaced. So far have hard no more from the neighbour, and the pipe is still leaking.

My understanding about easements was that the easement only gives the holder the right to access their water line (in this case) for the purposes of maintenance, but does not give them any rights to the land - or to be able to stop me putting access to my property across the easement? Perhaps I am wrong? Does anyone know? I also thought that before accessing the land, the holder had to give me due to notice? Also, I would have thought that the line must be buried more than 10cm? I thought there was a minimum depth it had to be?

Hope someone has some clarity on the legalities, and can give me some help?

Many thanks!

Reactions: Tim W

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
The first and most important answer for any easement issue is: get a copy of the grant of easement document, and read it. Easements are contractual in nature and you can only find out what the terms of that contract are by reading them.

Annita

9 February 2020
If easement is on your land it should be on your title and the details too.

Rod

Lawyer
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
but does not give them any rights to the land

Correct. I do not knowing the plumbing regulations so can't comment on the depth the pipe needs to be.

I'd be thanking the neighbour for the free watering of you garden ;)

Tim W

Lawyer
28 April 2014
Sydney
....as she owned that land...
This is almost never correct. Refer to your title documents.
Yours, not hers. It will be there.
You do want to be sure of exactly where your own boundary is.
You might find, after years of mis-assumption, that maybe it's you with easement, not her.

Oh, and by the way, if you're the burdened land, you don't get to lay a driveway etc in such a way as to impact her water supply.