National Extraction General Protection Act or Unfair dismissal?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

lisac

3 April 2020
Hi all,

I am after some advice/opinions. I am currently on a 457 visa and was being sponsored by an employer. I was made redundant last week from my workplace. Originally when the current economic situation started to unfold, all staff were told they would be either on unpaid leave or have reduced hours.

When I was told I was being made redundant, it was a complete surprise to me and all the other employees as this was not mentioned previously. I was told it was nothing to do with my performance but due to a review of the structure, apparently my role was no longer required. No-one else in the company was made redundant.

However the only difference between me and all the other staff is that I am on a temporary work visa. I requested the company if they could renew my visa about a month ago. Could this have been a factor in their decision? Maybe they thought I did not have the same work rights as an Australian citizen? Now I am not entitled to any payments due to my visa condition and there is currently no bill passed on residential tenants. It has put me in an extremely vulnerable position.

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.