LawAnswers.com.au - Australia's #1 Legal Community

LawAnswers.com.au is a community of 10,000+ Australians, just like you, helping each other.
Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
Join us, it only takes a minute:

NSW Missing Out on Public Holidays - Employer said Too Bad?

Discussion in 'Employment Law Forum' started by Ida, 17 February 2015.

1. Ida

Ida Member

Sorry, did not know where exactly to send this, as there is no link for workplace issues.
    I work Tuesdays to Saturdays, and miss 4 days a year Public Holidays (Mondays), as I don't work on Mondays anyway, but never have long weekends as any other employee.
    I tried HR in this institution, they said there is no policy on that, and "too bad" that this was the case!
    Am I entitled to these holidays, or it relies entirely on the management's decision?

2. ClareB

ClareB Well-Known Member

Hi Ida,

If you have one, you should refer to your employment agreement to determine whether there is a special arrangement between yourself and your employer where you are entitled to public holidays that you do not ordinarily work on.

However, and this is a big however, you will most likely not be entitled to these public holidays.

There is a clear explanation regarding this on the Fair Work website - link is as follows:
    Not working on public holidays - Fair Work Ombudsman

Generally, if you do not ordinarily work on Monday's, and the public holiday falls on a Monday, you will not be entitled to taking a day of absence for that public holiday.

If you are after the specific legislation, look to Section 116 of the Fair Work Act 2009.

Hope this provides some guidance,

Clare

Ian Macleod and Tim W like this.
  3. Ida

Ida Member

Thank you Clare.