WA Mislead purchase from Gumtree

Discussion in 'Australian Consumer Law Forum' started by Sylvie Seguin, 31 August 2018.

Tags:
  1. Sylvie Seguin

Sylvie Seguin Member

Hi everyone,

I purchased a washing machine off gumtree from a private seller. It was advertised as good working condition. Immediately when I used the machine for the first time, it was faulty (after which I contacted the seller asking for a refund with no response). I have since received a quote for repair and have contacted the seller again with no response. Do I have any rights as a consumer - especially considering that it was misleading in the advertisement?

Thank you for your help and information!

2. Tim W

Tim W Lawyer
    LawTap Verified Lawyer

This is probably not a transaction to which the Australian Consumer Law applies.
    So no, you don't have the same kind of entitlements as if you'd bought it from a retailer.

To succeed in, say, a small claims matter in contract, you'd have to show that,
    on the balance of probabilities the seller knew, or reasonably should have known,
    that there may have been a fault, even if they didn't understand (in technical terms) actually what that fault was.
    That can be difficult.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Sylvie Seguin likes this.
  3. Sylvie Seguin

Sylvie Seguin Member

OK....thank you for your reply and help.