- Australia's #1 Legal Community is a community of 10,000+ Australians, just like you, helping each other.
Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
Join us, it only takes a minute:

Maternity Leave - Employment Position

Discussion in 'Employment Law Forum' started by Carrie, 2 May 2014.

Find a Lawyer Form
Find a Lawyer Form
Find a Lawyer Form
  1. Carrie

Carrie Member

2 May 2014
    I've just found out I'm pregnant and I'm just trying to understand my employment position. I've worked at my company for nearly 2 years in a junior admin role. How much maternity leave can I take at work?
  2. rebeccag

rebeccag Well-Known Member

8 April 2014
    The Fair Work Ombudsman site has information that answers your question. It provides that:
    The minimum entitlement for parental leave is 12 months unpaid. This entitlement comes from the National Employment Standards and applies to all employees in Australia, even if they’re not covered by the National workplace relations system.
    Full-time, part-time and casual employees can take unpaid parental leave if they are responsible to care for a baby and have worked for the business for at least 12 months before the date (or expected date) of birth

Some employees can also be entitled to paid parental leave.

The Department of Human Services has a Parental Leave Pay page that sets out eligibility and procedure for paid parental leave.
  3. Sophea

Sophea Well-Known Member

16 April 2014
    Your contract of employment may also stipulate period of paid and/or unpaid parental leave that you are entitled to.