Made redundant - then business advertises for roles?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

PreyingO9

25 February 2019
Hi everyone,

Recently I was made redundant from a call center customer service manager role after being there near 18 months. It was an upstart company, brand new at the time.

However, recently this company has been sold to a group that owns another similar company.... a company that I left to take this particular role.

I was made redundant on Feb 7, with my letter stating the following:

"We have explored whether there is an alternative position for you, however we have been unable to identify one".

Feb 20, this same company advertises on-line for a customer service agent position. A position I was in previously before accepting this new role, and ultimately no longer having a job.

If they had of offered me a lesser role within the company, I would certainly have taken it. I would rather take a step down if I need to change lanes in order to progress my career.

Is there any point pursuing this further? I just don't get how they can say they can't identify a role for me, but advertise for an open position for the role that I was in previous to accepting my most recent one?

Thanks

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
What State are you in?

And if covered by the Fair Work Act you have 21 days from date of dismissal to lodge a claim. You need to get on your bike if you want to have any chance of pursuing your matter. And yes, at face value based on your post, you have a chance.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Ring around lawyers and see how you go.