QLD Looking to Change Family Court Order - Help?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Charliegirl

17 July 2017
Hi all,

I'm very new and am glad to have found this very informative site.

Long story short, I raised my son alone for about 8 years. His dad came back into the picture when he found a partner and asked to get to know his son. I agreed and after some time, my boy went to live with his dad and partner for about 2 years. Sadly, during this time they made access for me next to impossible, so I took them to family court to regain custody of children.

Two days before court, his dad sent me their amended orders. I didn't have time to dispute them as I didn't want to delay the court date. Court was 2.5years ago now.

The orders requested that I meet them half way at 5pm on a Friday (2.5hr round trip) and then pick up is Sunday 5pm. His dad is also to call him every Thursday at 6pm, something that has yet to actually happen. My son was fine with going until they had two more children and appeared to have lost interest in him. Even going so far as to sending him back to me halfway into their allocated school holiday visit.

My son is often depressed for a couple of days prior to going to his dad's. He will not argue with me as he knows that is the wrong thing to do. It is however starting to have some ill effects on our good relationship.

The family court orders also stop me from moving. After being single for many years I found a partner a year ago and I'd like for us to move with him in a year's time. Alas the court agreement doesn't allow for this.

So I ask of you, what am I to do in this situation? I have to admit I'm wanting to start a better paid job that won't allow me to do the drop off at 5pm on a Friday anymore. I am aware however that my situation means nothing and it's my son that matters. He no longer wants to go fortnightly but is fine with continuing of half of each holidays for visits.

Thank you in advance

sammy01

27 September 2015
So write to dad. Be delicate, maybe bluff a little... How old is the child now? Does he have friends, etc, like teens tend to and would rather hang with them? See how dad goes. Then book mediation.

So how far are you planning on moving? How do you propose to make this work so that it doesn't impact on dad?

Your best bet is to find a compromise. Trying to do that without a third party is a good start, if not then mediation... Still not good? Then it is court.

Charliegirl

17 July 2017
so write to dad. Be delicate, maybe bluff a little... How old is the child now? Does he have friends etc like teens tend to and would rather hang with them?
See how dad goes.
Then book mediation.

So how far are you planning on moving? How do you propose to make this work so that it doesn't impact on dad?>

Your best bet is to find a compromise. Trying to do that without a third party is a good start, if not then mediation.. Still not good? then it is court.

Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately contact with his dad is always unsuccessful. I can message and never receive a reply no matter what it is in regards to.

As it stands they live 4hrs away. I'm hoping to move the an hour further away towards a city. Every second weekend would still be possible but with slightly more travel time. At this stage the court order says I can only move 3hrs south.

My son is 14 in 3 months. I feel bad making him go there as it is every fortnight but he understands that he has to.