SA Lease and Bond Refund Claim Dispute with Landlord - What to Do?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Michelle Rose

13 January 2016
Hi, I am a tenant who recently broke a lease agreement early due to being unemployed and moving interstate. I did everything by the book to end the tenancy, professional cleaners, etc. The landlord agreed in writing to refund the bond, however, she has submitted an unsigned bond claim refund to Residential Tenancies forcing the matter unnecessarily into dispute. (I signed the form) She is also accusing me of illegally going onto the property to remove an item left behind (I informed her about the item being collected).

What should I do as I can't afford to lose my bond? This person is a lawyer and I have found that OCBA usually backs the landlord in any dispute. I am concerned that if the form is sent back to her, she will now refuse to agree to the refund, even though she was the one who lodged the form!

Reactions: Timothy Longmire
S

Sophea

All you can do is go through the processes that are put in place to deal with these disputes. Get as much evidence you can to support your version of events surrounding the re-entry to collect the left behind item - i.e. any correspondences with her where she agrees for you to re-enter the property to recover the left behind item. In order for her to make a claim on the bond she has to have reasonable grounds to make a claim. Or be completely up front with the landlord and contact her directly to discuss it.

Reactions: Timothy Longmire