Lawyer Behaviour - Declined Offer without Telling Me?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

112jgray

12 July 2014
My lawyer declined a offer from the person I have a case against without tell me there was a offer. Can he do this without telling me?

John R

14 April 2014
Sydney
Hi @112jgray,
Can you please provide some further information?
  1. What was the legal issue (e.g. personal injury law, commercial law, etc.)?
  2. Did you give your lawyer instructions to reject/managers offers below a certain amount or not meeting a set criteria?
  3. Have you asked your lawyer about why he declined the offer on your behalf? If yes, how did he respond?

112jgray

12 July 2014
It was a civil matter. No i didnt tell him to reject offers under certain amounts.and my lawyer has not replyed to my messages.i did speak to another from the firm who rang me.he told me about the offer and told me because i declined the offer the bill is much more than it would have been if i excepted the offer.

John R

14 April 2014
Sydney
Hi @112jgray
If your legal bill in this civil matter is now larger than the rejected offer, were you prepared to accept the rejected offer?

112jgray

12 July 2014
I dont know the details of the offer except it was for $25.0000. If it was for one of the people involved then yes. If it was for both then no.

John R

14 April 2014
Sydney
Hi @112jgray
Perhaps you should request further details of the offer from your lawyer and if you are still concerned with their handling of the matter, attempt to provider revised instructions about how you would like the matter to be handled.