late affidavit from the applicant final hearing

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Jun

23 July 2021
At your next direction hearing. In the normal course of events I doubt you'd be successful but if the Applicant has consistently refused to follow court orders and has annoyed the Judge, you stand a chance. The alternative is to seek costs and a further directions hearing.
Can you please advise more about seeking costs and a further direction hearings?
Does that mean I can request the Applicant to pay my legal fees for responding the Applicant’s late affidavit?
Does that mean I have to submit a new application for the further direction hearings?
Or can I or the Applicant request to reschedule the final hearing ( defended hearing)?

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Very difficult to answer your questions without knowing the history of your case.

These are good questions for your lawyer and beyond the scope of what can be answered in an online forum.

Hoang Trang

22 July 2016
My situation...The OP failed to follow court orders to file disclosure and her final trial affidavit by deadline. At the next hearing magistrate gave her a further 3 months otherwise case will proceed undefended. She failed that and undefended hearing is set for September. My lawyer also sent her a letter a few weeks prior as a reminder and too see if she needed additional time but had no response. This week her new and 4th lawyer advised they have lodged a form 2 requesting the undefended hearing be vacated and allow time to file all requested documents as she wishes to participate in a defended trial. Her affidavit states she does not understand English despite having a interrupter present on every hearing and was even able to participate in two conciliation conferences. And that she was not represented the majority of the proceedings and was unsure. This is the second time she has be warned of a undefended hearing. The first time exact same thing but she did manage to file on the very last day and she was represented that time and not sure her argument about not understanding. My lawyer says chances are she will be allowed to. Makes me so angry as her whole plan is to drag it out so I incur unnecessary legal fees. And must mention I had to subpoena her bank accounts as she refused to do full disclosure. I can kept on going???

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Your lawyer should now be making an application for a costs order for costs thrown away.

Hoang Trang

22 July 2016
Your lawyer should now be making an application for a costs order for costs thrown away.
Yes part of our finial orders is for cost. Problem is she withdrew $200k cash two weeks prior to our first court hearing. And despite an injunction not to dispose any assets she " sold " her AMG although still waiting disclosure on that.