QLD Job Offer Withdrawn - What are My Employee Rights?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Kungfulol

9 June 2017
Hi guys,

I need help with my employee rights, if any. I feel screwed out of a job I really needed. I had a verbal job offer on the 20th of April with a start date of 2nd of May that I accepted. I was injured on the 23rd of April 2017 where I had a fall and fractured both my ankles. I informed the company on the 26th and they said I needed to be medically cleared

The company sent me a written employment contract that I signed and sent on the 27th of April. I kept in regular contact and was told HR needed a medical clearance. I sent my medical certificates until I got one. The last one had a fit for work date of 24th of June.

Now it's 9th of June and I get a missed call, with no voicemail and email from my would be manager saying that they had withdrawn due to operational requirements. They had withdrawn my offer wishing me good luck.

Lance

31 October 2015
Hi,
Technically there was an offer and acceptance so an enforceable contract is in place. At least it appears that way on the face of it, although there may be caveats in the contract that addresses your pre-existing condition. Did you keep a copy of the signed contract? Regardless you are in a difficult position. It would be very difficult to work for an employer you force to honour their contract. I would speak to an employment lawyer and see if you can negotiate some compensation for the lost opportunity.

Kungfulol

9 June 2017
Yes I do have a copy of the contract that I signed for posted and e-mail version. I had already passed the medical prior to my injury. Nothing is mentioned about existing conditions. I really felt led on to believe that I would have a job to start once I recovered and prove myself. I wouldn't want to work for a company that does that to future employees. I want compensation for lost of opportunity.