NT Job offer withdrawn after acceptance

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Opal

24 May 2019
Hi Guys,
Still a bit new to Australian rules,hopefully someone can help.

Living in QLD Applied for a job with a college in NT, interview went well,a week later referees were checked by interview panel Chair(future Boss) and verbal offer made with a start date which I accepted. Got an email from HR with pre-employment formalities(Police check,work with children's check costing $140), gave rental termination notice,put car for sale, sold furniture, etc etc to move in about a month. Next week an offer was made by HR via email. I sent a mail to clarify few things and requested a higher pay in same grade which the HR said the chair of panel would make the decision maker. I got a call from Chair few days later and I mentioned the higher qualifications, experience etc. The Chair said was quite happy to look into it and the references were glowing asked to write an e-mail citing all this. Day before yesterday, got a call from Panel Chair saying they couldn't accept my proposal and I told her it was alright. Yesterday HR called and re-issued the original employment contract, which I accepted via HR tool with agreed start date.

Today another person from HR called and said in fact when the Chair had called and said the negotiation wasn't accepted, it meant the contract wasn't valid anymore. I emailed the HR for clarification and received an email saying while skills are sound, it's not a right fit for the role and the offer has been withdrawn.

I am totally devastated with all the plans made, no place to live probably, no job and angry at their callous nature. What can I do?

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Would need to see the detail of the correspondence to know for sure.

The first round is not a contract, but the second acceptance maybe a contract.

Reactions: Opal

Opal

24 May 2019
Thanks Rod, much appreciated. Is there someway to send the contract to you? I couldn't find a way to send a private message.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Check out my signature.