SA Job description of my role

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Bob1975

17 November 2014
Ive recently had a performane review in which i was told i was underperforming. I had discussion with human resources and they recommended i reread my Job description for the job (This is the JD I signed when taking the position).
The JD has several compentencies required and they are all ranked 1 to 5 or basic to advanced.
For one competency i am required to rank 2. My bosses boss wants me to perform at rank 5 advanced.
I challenged my boss that my JD calls for rank 2 but you expect me to perform at rank 5. He advised me the compentencys mean nothing and they are just there as a guide and it was the best match they could find. He then went on to state my role has evolved since taking the position, implying it was no longer accurate.
My question is- If required compentencies are stated on a signed JD contract, can my employer state they mean nothing and make the rules up as they wish?

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
No