VIC Is the landlord milking me?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

cg1994

28 March 2018
First time renter here, sure have learned my lesson after this one.

Basically after turning over the keys for this rental I have been billed with a whole bunch of bogus claims. With knowledge of the landlord trying to sell this rental we were not shocked at all. After disputing through email the claims have been brought down from five issues to two issues now.

One, damages to the door. In our condition report we have mentioned that the door was already damaged. No photos were taken on our behalf. The house is fairly old, as the door shows signs of wear and tear. Dints and marks were already here before we had moved in. They have posted a photo with two additional dents claiming they are holes in the door and that the damage has come from us.
They have now got a quote for a $300 door

Two, mould growing on the bathroom ceiling. In our initial condition report they had mentioned that the bathroom ceiling was freshly painted. The ceiling had never come to our attention. Only after moving out they had mentioned "Mould on the bathroom ceiling has never been reported so the issue has become larger than it should have been".
Looking at the photos you can see that the roof has been painted over many times, and having the window and fan on every time we showered (room becomes a sauna if you don't) I don't understand what else we could have done to take more precaution. Isn't that a maintenance problem? Although we failed to report that during our stay, can't we catch them out for painting over the mould spots constantly?

Also worth mentioning our landlord failed to address any issues we had in our rental the whole time, apart from fixing the shower hose. There is a long list of items which they had addressed they would fix or inspect in email but never had attended. Would this also work in our favour?

Thanks

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Not sure of your question.

You ask for your bond back, if they don't agree they take you to VCAT.