Should Landlord Pay Contents Damages?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

JPasks

5 July 2021
I live in an apartment block of 9. The building is owned by one landlord and managed by a property management company. Last week a leak came through our bedroom ceiling from the apartment kitchen above. We were later told that a hose from the washing machine had worn out and leaked mid cycle causing a massive flood. No damage other than a wet carpet. A week later the same thing happens again, this time the water came through the ceiling light and damaged some expensive bed linen and some other items that were on the bed. The property manager has said that the landlord is not liable for any replacement items as the machine (even though owned by the landlord) broke down due to wear and tear. They say we have to claim on our own contents insurance. Is this correct or is there an angle that can be worked as the fault happened twice and the landlord owns the machine?

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
The landlord and/or upstairs tenant can be responsible.

Best to tell your insurance company and let them argue the point.

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
I live in an apartment block of 9. The building is owned by one landlord and managed by a property management company. Last week a leak came through our bedroom ceiling from the apartment kitchen above. We were later told that a hose from the washing machine had worn out and leaked mid cycle causing a massive flood. No damage other than a wet carpet. A week later the same thing happens again, this time the water came through the ceiling light and damaged some expensive bed linen and some other items that were on the bed. The property manager has said that the landlord is not liable for any replacement items as the machine (even though owned by the landlord) broke down due to wear and tear. They say we have to claim on our own contents insurance. Is this correct or is there an angle that can be worked as the fault happened twice and the landlord owns the machine?
I agree with @Rod - in the normal course of events, apart from your excess,
it's between the insurers.

I am guessing however, that you are here
because you don't actually have contents insurance?