WA IP Australia Registered Design Stolen - What to Do?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

JM81

12 April 2017
Hello,

I have a design registered with IP Australia and found out that a local company has made an identical copy of my design without permission and is selling it in their shop.

In need of any help / recommendation on how to handle this situation. The people who stole my design are not aware yet that I know what they have done.

Leonard Mancini

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
4 August 2016
Gold Coast
lawtap.com
Hello,
I have a design registered with IP Australia and found out that a local company has made an identical copy of my design without permission and is selling it in their shop.
In need of any advice / recommendation on how to handle this situation. the people who stole my design are not aware yet that I know what they have done.

Happy to have a no obligations chat with you to discuss your options: Leonard Mancini - Gold Coast and Brisbane, QLD - LawTap Find a Lawyer & Book Online Instantly

Kim Walters

LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
18 July 2016
Australia
lawtap.com
If you want to take legal action, you must request that the design is certified by IP Australia. A registered design cannot be enforced until it has been certified. IP Australia must examine it and determine that it is new and distinctive. Be careful of making threats as the Designs Act allows a party threatened with infringement to seek damages if the threat is in relation to a registered but not yet certified design.

You may also be able to take action under the tort of passing off or under the Australian Consumer law to protect your goodwill and reputation.