QLD Investment Nightmare! - Can I Get My Money Back?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Milly

8 September 2014
I stupidly agreed to give an 'investor' $210k last May with an insane return and interest paid monthly etc. I did it all with no contract, yes he sweet talked me. Yes I'm a single mum with 2 boys who fell for it!

I have receipts for all the deposits into his bank account and have only just started contact with him again. He assures me the investment is still active but can't give me any money yet. I received $7000 off him in May last year and that has been it, i was meant to be getting monthly payments.
So i have emails from him talking of the investment so it's obvious he has my money or took my money for investment purposes.

Is there anything I can do, under contract law or practically, to get my money back?
Thank you

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Write to him asap and give him 30 days to pay money back. Keep copy of letter.

If no money after 30 days send a demand letter. Next step after that is court.

Milly

8 September 2014
Write to him asap and give him 30 days to pay money back. Keep copy of letter.

If no money after 30 days send a demand letter. Next step after that is court.

Thank you but can i take him to court with no contract???? i've been told i haven't a leg to stand on :-(

Milly

8 September 2014
I know this was so dumb so i'm prepared for the backlash :)

Should i try and get more info from him via email to confirm anything??

Rod

Lawyer
27 May 2014
You have the proof you paid him money. You have proof of at least one dividend/repayment. He needs to prove why he can retain the money, not vice versa.

BTW, your first letter should outline the facts as you know them.

Milly

8 September 2014
You have the proof you paid him money. You have proof of at least one dividend/repayment. He needs to prove why he can retain the money, not vice versa.

BTW, your first letter should outline the facts as you know them.

Ok thank you, are you a lawyer?

Rod

Lawyer
27 May 2014
No.