VIC International travel with possible outstanding bench warrant

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

BlackxxAssassin

13 May 2019
Hi, as the title states, I am planning a trip to the Philippines. I believe there may be a bench warrant out in my name, the only way to find out is to call the local cop shop from what I read from other threads, is that correct?

I wasn't asked to surrender my passport upon being charged, and was told travel was ok. However, I missed a court date due to visa issues (Yes, perhaps not the greatest excuse in the world, but it is what it is at the moment)

Would I be stopped in the Philippines?

Any help would be appreciated.

sammy01

27 September 2015
call the cops - if they say they would like you to come in for a chat then hang up and hide under the bed and don't go to the Phillipines.
Let us know how you go.

Tony Danos

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
29 November 2016
Victoria
lawtap.com
Unless you want to avoid the police forever, I suggest you go to the police station and get the warrant executed. They will give you a new court date.

BlackxxAssassin

13 May 2019
The problem is I’m overseas. And cannot return without first applying for a visa to go back. I do want to get this sorted somehow, so I will call and find out for sure what happened.

So if I just call the cops with my name and last known address they can tell me over the phone? My Victorian licence has expired and been exchanged for overseas licence

Tony Danos

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
29 November 2016
Victoria
lawtap.com
It depends how serious are the outstanding charges. I would organise in advance with the police to present yourself once in Melbourne. Should you be arrested upon arrival then a court would give you bail with evidence of your pre-existing arrangements. Feel free to email me.

BlackxxAssassin

13 May 2019
Called the court where the hearing was scheduled. Was advised there is an arrest warrant issued. Outstanding charge: 1 Count of criminal damage. I guess I can now add failure to appear to that also.

Tony, with regards to what you said can you explain "with evidence of your pre-existing arrangements".
I am looking to get this sorted, and if it means flying to Australia I am willing to do that.

BlackxxAssassin

13 May 2019
I see. Thanks for you help. I will most likely be in contact with you at some stage soon in regards to this. Appreciate the help.