VIC Intellectual Property Law - Using Bookcover Images on Online Product?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now
16 March 2016
Hi,

I am in the process of building an e-book marketplace. I am currently using book cover images to simulate the future product. I was wondering if I am able to release the marketplace to the market using the images under Intellectual Property Law, so that my first prospective customers can visualize the idea?

S

Sophea

Do you mean you are using pictures of the cover of the books? If you are using real size pictures that you have obtained off the internet, that would be in breach of copyright because someone else has created that image and you would need to obtain their consent or licence to use them. However, if you are creating your own images of the book covers for example a picture of you holding up a book or something or the book on a book shelf then you own the copyright in the image because you created it. Alternatively small thumbnail images are usually considered fair game to use.

If you intend to scan and use the covers you may get away with it under the Fair Use exception under the copyright act, however its safer to obtain permission. Check out this document for libraries and educational institutions: copyright in images of book covers - Google Search