QLD Inheritance Money

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Fattoad

18 March 2020
I have been given some money from my late mother in the uk i need to get this paid into my brokers account so i can exchange it into aus dollars.This account is not in my name and the Solicitor has said that she will not pay it into that account because of money laundering .Seems strange as she has done all the checks on me and given over infomation and she will be the one that will be paying the money into the brokers account so won't it be her thats money laundering and not me .. Anyway is there a fix for this that somebody knows any help would be great

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
Get her to transfer it to you directly. Sure, there will be bank fees and probably not the best exchange rate but you can offset that against all the stuffing around and delay you’re going to experience trying to convince her to pay it to a third party.

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
...i need to get this paid into my brokers account so i can exchange it into aus dollars.
Rubbish.
Take Rob's advice.