VIC I downloaded ebooks from my Uni website and they are angry about it

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now
3 February 2021
My uni gives us access to a website of a big ebook provider. With the help of a friend I downloaded all of the books there using a web crawler. I saved those only for myself and never distributed to anyone else.
My uni has detected that my credentials were used to login to the website thousands of times. Now they are saying the ebook provider can sue me.
Is there any legal ground for them to sue me? Is there any past example of this kind of think happening? What will be my best defense? Should I admit that I did it or just say I don't know what happened?

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Is there any legal ground for them to sue me?

Yes.

Can't see a defence when you deliberately breach IP law.

I suggest a mea culpa might help you though you need to be careful so you do not openly admit to the action and have that used later against you.

Talk to the Uni, and if necessary, go through a lawyer.

TheRealPM

2 December 2020
I cant see a grounds for legal action unless what you did was especially prohibited in the site or library systems T&C s

I mean, they allowed you in right ? Just that you downloaded many books rather than the 1 they expected . Or is there more back story which is not above...

Tim W

Lawyer
28 April 2014
Sydney
I agree with @Rod.

The eBook provider can certainly sue you.
And you might be looking at non-academic misconduct proceedings
by the university, too.

TheRealPM

2 December 2020
Sorey what?
Lawyers are way too theoretical .

Pray tell, what from above indicates an actual statute breach whixh could possibly give rise to conclusions you draw

Rod

Lawyer
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Hmm, practising lawyers are too theoretical.

Suggest you study IP and contract law for your answer.

Docupedia

7 October 2020
Sorey what?
Lawyers are way too theoretical .

Pray tell, what from above indicates an actual statute breach whixh could possibly give rise to conclusions you draw
Throw a dart at the Copyright Act. You’re likely to hit a section of relevance.

Scruff

25 July 2018
NSW
With the help of a friend I downloaded all of the books there using a web crawler.
That will almost certainly be a breach of the web site's terms and conditions. Any form of "crawling", "scraping" or any other automated process is usually a breach of the T&C's for any web site.

Tim W

Lawyer
28 April 2014
Sydney
Any form of "crawling", "scraping" or any other automated process is usually a breach of the T&C's for any web site
And will almost certainly be a breach of copyright as a result.
As to what I said above
...non-academic misconduct proceedings
by the university, too.
that's where the University can take action against you
for using your university email to do unlawful stuff.