How to subpoena recordings of phone call?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now
11 February 2024
If you're looking to subpoena recordings of a phone call, it's essential to understand the legal process involved. In NSW, the Uniform Civil Procedure Rules 2005 (NSW) provide guidance on subpoenas, particularly Rule 33.2. This rule outlines the types of subpoenas, including one for production (Form CP42), which is what you'd need to request specific documents or evidence from your phone service provider.
Additionally, if you're ever curious about the caller or want to track down information related to phone calls, you can use resources like Who Called Me? | UK's Instant Free Reverse Phone Lookup Service. It's a useful tool for identifying and managing incoming calls.

Hellomyonlyfriend

15 August 2022
You would have to do lodge a "subpoena to produce" form to the court against your telco/ISP.

I have done one before requesting records, phone calls, text message etc. and they usually only keep them for certain period of time.

For example, text message only kept for 3 months if that, because I know the police could not even subpoena them after that time.

Phone calls doubt they record them ( they probably do)or whether they would have servers in Australia etc which may create jurisdiction issues.

They would just just respond nothing to produce most likely and you cannot do much further if they do that.