QLD How to find out a client solicitor or Conveyancer

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Sonlyme

7 February 2020
Does anyone know how I can find out a persons solicitor or Conveyancer is there such a thing as a register? I have requested the details so that my solicitor can get in touch and they are refusing to advise who their Solicitor or conveyancer is. Has anyone got any ideas of how I can obtain this information please? TIA

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
You can't and there's no 'register'. Even if you had past documents with a solicitor's name, they may no longer be acting for them. Nor are they required to disclose whether they are working with a solicitor. Unless they, or their solicitor, disclose the solicitor is acting - treat them as self-representing.

Reactions: Sonlyme

Sonlyme

7 February 2020
You can't and there's no 'register'. Even if you had past documents with a solicitor's name, they may no longer be acting for them. Nor are they required to disclose whether they are working with a solicitor. Unless they, or their solicitor, disclose the solicitor is acting - treat them as self-representing.
Thanks for your reply Rob. Are they required to disclose this info if you have a deed of agreement and you own a percentage of their home?

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
No.

Reactions: Sonlyme