QLD How Many Times Can I Request for Adjournments?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Dwayne Harry

13 November 2015
Hi,

I am seeking clarification on adjournments.

I now have new evidence which, I believe, proves I am innocent from false claims and convictions of Domestic Violence. I am due to appear in court over a breach next week (a legitimate error with an email - no violence or threats and it wasn't sent to the respondent) however, I am still facing charges.

Back to my initial enquiry. How many times can I request an adjournment whilst gathering information that proves my innocence? Also, what will the Judge request in terms of validation that my request is legitimate?

I don't wish to offend the Judge and/or the Court by making a request that is not respectful if judicial proceedings.

Yes, I have a Lawyer, but I like to research information myself as well.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
As many as the judge thinks is necessary. However you run the risk that even if you win you may pay some of the other party's costs caused by adjournments you requested.

Best to get the information via subpoena. Should request all relevant material in one batch of subpoenas and if any new relevant leads turn up the judge may grant an extension of time so you can get the new material.

Dwayne Harry

13 November 2015
Hi, thanks for your help.

Subpeonas have been issued and I will have all of the relevant information next week. However it probably won't be prior to the court hearing

I will request an adjournment based on waiting on new evidence.

Thanks for your assistance.