QLD How Long will Offence Stay on Police Check?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

racieta

3 September 2014
Hi,

8 years ago, I had an over PMT from Centrelink. I did go to court but there was no conviction and the debit has been paid in full.

I was working in a role in 2013 and had to obtain a blue card do a check was done and there were no problems. I have recently started looking for work and I had to have a police check done and it came back with the offence:

Obtain Financial Advantage

Court Result: proved without conviction

This is now affecting my ability to gain employment. My question is, how long will this continue to come up on a police check and is there anything I can do to clear it?

Victoria S

9 April 2014
Hi racieta,

What sort of job was it? Because generally unless there is a conviction - it should not come up on your police report if for standard employment. However there are some jobs that police will reveal additional details for such as jobs in the judiciary, police force or working with children.

Check out this post: VIC - Possible to have Criminal Record Expunged in Victoria? | LawAnswers.com.au

racieta

3 September 2014
Hi Victoria,

It is a role working with children but I had a role with this company in 2013 when they also completed a police check and it didn't come out. As I said, I was only aware that it showed on my police check last year, but that was while I was working as a finance and insurance officer.

My employer was ok after I explained what it was. As it was in NSW, I was also wondering how long this will haunt me for and if there is any way to have it removed.