QLD How can I get the bank to release the scammers details so that I could sue them?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

NeedHelp77

4 December 2022
I lost $60,000 to online scammers. They transferred $60,000 from my account to theirs over a few transactions.
I have their name and Pay ID, as well as their Bank Account details.

I searched on google and found out (but I could be wrong) that I could apply to the Court to get an order for the bank to release and give me the account holder details. Once I get their details, I could then apply to the court etc.

Do you know which form I must use to apply to the court and get an order for the bank to release the scammers contact details? mainly the address I am after.

Thank you

Paul Cott

LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
26 May 2014
Ballarat, Victoria
I lost $60,000 to online scammers. They transferred $60,000 from my account to theirs over a few transactions.
I have their name and Pay ID, as well as their Bank Account details.

I searched on google and found out (but I could be wrong) that I could apply to the Court to get an order for the bank to release and give me the account holder details. Once I get their details, I could then apply to the court etc.

Do you know which form I must use to apply to the court and get an order for the bank to release the scammers contact details? mainly the address I am after.

Thank you
Hi, as that is a procedural question, if you contact the court they should help you as to how to go about and or which form. But I would have thought that what you are seeking is in the nature of preliminary discovery, to get information to enable to sue someone.

Reactions: NeedHelp77

Cantell

23 October 2020
But I would have thought that what you are seeking is in the nature of preliminary discovery, to get information to enable to sue someone.
Thank you very much for your reply Paul.
Is the 'preliminary discovery' allowable in this case? how can I do that please?
Thank you very much in advance