NSW High School teacher not playing nice

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Chaser1

28 September 2016
Hi

My 14yr old son has had continued problems with his PE teacher since January.
My son informed me today just before the last holidays he went to school without his PE clothes and this teacher told my son that he looks like a 'poofter' in what he was dressed in and then told my son he is a 'f&#cking dickead' anyway...
What's the best way to deal with that please :)

Arche

20 March 2015
Not really a legal issue at this point.
I suggest you approach the school to firstly - and no offence to your son - establish if this is what happened, and then to make a complaint. You are always better off trying to resolve a problem at the source first.

sammy01

27 September 2015
ok - so I'm a teacher. I'm appalled.

But look, stuff that happened a few weeks ago is a problem... Were there witnesses? why did you wait so long etc etc... And look I bet there are good reasons, kid was scared, didn't want to talk about it... All fair enough, but the school could get defensive and argue that the delay is for another more sinister reason...

My thoughts... Have a chat to your son. Make sure he is doing the right thing... But tell him a bit about bullying. But be really careful here PLEASE.... My thought, tell him to ignore it. Tell him to be on his best behavour... Tell him to aviod being alone with the teacher... More importantly, tell him that if such language is used again, he should politely stand up and say something like "Mr XXXX you have just said XXXX. I am now going to the prinicipal. I would like the other students to note that they witnessed you bullying me". Then he walks to the prinicipal and politey waits for the principal, or deputy to speak to him...

So that is one thought. Another thought, contact the school, ask to speak to the principal, or write a letter directly to the principal. I reckon a letter is a good idea... If you speak to someone like a head teacher, or year advisor, things can get swept under the carpet. By putting it in writing, you're putting the school on notice that they really need to act.
I have attached a link to the nsw det complaints policy (I'm assuming it is a public school).
Complaints Handling Policy | Policy library

If you write a draft of a letter to principal, without names etc AND DO NOT MENTION THE NAME OF THE SCHOOL, OR EVEN THE GEOGRAPHIC REGION. i will give you my thoughts on the letter.

Look if the teacher has done this to your son, he may well have done it to others, there could be other records and as such the school really should act to either counsel the teacher, or look at other disciplinary options.

BUT make sure you're very clear on the details... Like I said, I'm a high school teacher. There are lots of things I say in a day that when taken out of context sound pretty bad... So for example, I had a complaint about showing a racist cartoon... I was teaching history and the cartoon was about the White Australia Policy. It was a stupid complaint, but I still had to deal with it... that said, calling a kid 'a poof' is something that I can't find a context that I reckon can justify that sort of terminology.

One more thing. Dont be anonymous, teacher will work out who is complaining, and teaching your kid to stand up for himself is something to be proud of

Chaser1

28 September 2016
My son is no angel,he has a mouth on him at times.. what teenager dosnt ;)
I think the words the teacher used are appalling though and in no way are they appropriate for a teacher to use when in school.. my son only told me 2day.. he is a resilliant kid.
There were 2 other boys that heard it.
I will write a letter to the Principle so there will be a record of it.
Thanks for your suggestions and the link.
I just wanted to be sure I go about this the right way.. :)

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
he has a mouth on him at times.. what teenager dosnt

I had zero tolerance for disrespect either towards me or other people as my kids grew up. Never allowed it go without pulling them up or punishing (non-corporal) their bad behaviour. They learnt OK and didn't develop a mouth, though it was trying on occasions as they went through various phases..