Hair Colour Rules at School - What will Happen?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

amelia2506

12 May 2016
Hi, I dyed 'slices' of blue in my hair on the 22nd December 2015. Up until today, I have only had positive feedback from teachers. My form teacher said no matter who says to dye it, only the principal can enforce it. My deputy principal confronted me this morning about it as she walked past. I was with all of my friends, one of which has hot pink hair, another caked in makeup and hair out, yet I was the only one told off. I thought it was unfair when I have barely any in my hair now, a tiny bit of pale blue. I was wondering what the school can/will do if I don't dye it. (It's a semi-private catholic school).

There are also other girls with bright red (not ginger) hair, blue, green who aren't getting in any trouble.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Based on your post I suspect your problem is more to do with attitude rather than hair colour.

Police have a name for it when pulling over drivers - RAT. Roadside Attitude Test. Fail the test and expect grief.

Respect and a proper attitude goes along way to smoothing your passage through life. If you believe, for whatever reason, the other person/organisation doesn't deserve respect then you need to be prepared for the consequences of your lack of respect.

AllForHer

23 July 2014
This isn't a legal issue.

Your school is within its rights to nominate a code of conduct that determines how students attending are expected to act, which can include uniform policies and rules about hair colour. It is also within the school's rights to determine how and when it enforces that code of conduct. This means your discontent with the school's selective imposition of its code of conduct is, fundamentally, immaterial. Making a complaint about the imbalance is no different to joining in a fist fight, being charged with assault by police, and then defending yourself by saying "But they were all doing it!"

In short, and in the most lay terms available to me, just because someone else does something wrong does not mean you can.

Reactions: Sophea and Rod

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Based on your post I suspect your problem is more to do with attitude rather than hair colour.

I have enough life experience to confirm that attitude makes a difference with how a person is treated by authorities/others. Only trying to read between the lines, not making a judgement call.

It is up to the person to decide what they want to do. I'm not saying they need to conform to standards. I am saying if they don't conform to certain standards of behaviour then they need to expect a certain amount of pushback and confrontation. If this is recognised and expected by the non-conformist then it saves them grief in trying to get everyone else to accept their minority viewpoint. It is unlikely to happen.

Conform = easier passage through life
Non-conform = hassles and grief.

Your choice to make, not mine.

sammy01

27 September 2015
So at this point you've been 'told off'. If that is it - let it go... If the school is threatening you with suspension / detention or whatever, that would be different because they are not insisting everyone meet the same standards. So the deputy had a go at you because she doesn't like your hair. Deputy has a right to an opinion and you have a right to blue hair - easy.