NSW Getting fined remotely - Stopping at a private area

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Lucaslly97

8 June 2018
So I was trying to take photos of my car - as a hobby - and one night I turned into a street where there are gates everywhere, closed, and I did not enter any of them. I stopped at an area, off the road, and took some photos.
Then after a while, somebody drove a golf car and told me I will be fined for being on this private property and that I was on camera.

I am not really sure if this is just at all, first I don't know that I am on private property because I assumed that those gates are what separated the street from private property. While I have not received a fine yet, I am not sure if this is even finable. I did not switch off the car, I was within reaching distance of my car and I was not impeding any traffic. Most of all, whoever claimed to fine me is not the police and they didn't even ask me to leave before issuing a fine (which I cannot see them do because they claim they did it remotely).

A few things are in my mind right now.
1) Parking rangers need to be there, have a photo and start printing the fine and putting it on the car for the fine to work. At least, I have not seen them do it remotely because usually, people drive off before they issue a fine means there is no fine.
2) Even the police needs to stop a driver before they can issue fines. For some reason, video evidence is not sufficient?

So I am not sure if these random people can have bigger power than these two authorities I listed above and I am not sure what rule would be mailed to me at all. They mentioned 400$ but that's about it.

So what constitutes trespassing? Can I argue that I was just stopping to look around?
Please ask me anything to clarify, I certainly have not put all of the details in here yet but I don't want to overload this post with too many words.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Atticus

6 February 2019
Then after a while, somebody drove a golf car and told me I will be fined for being on this private property and that I was on camera.
So have you actually been issued with a fine.. from anybody?

Lucaslly97

8 June 2018

Atticus

6 February 2019
Probably just a couple of locals trying to put the wind up you ...

Don't wory about it unless a fine turns up

Reactions: Lucaslly97